Monday, July 4, 2016

Independence Day (1996)

Image Source
For this Fourth of July, I want to talk about one of my all-time favorite movies. Independence Day is known for being that one Roland Emmerich movie that most people can agree on. It's been twenty years since this movie hit theaters, and was one of the action movies I remember growing up with. Is it a little stupid? Yes. Is it cheesy at times? Yes. This is still a fun sci-fi action movie that, for the most part, holds up. The cast is entertaining. The movie is quotable as hell. I'll admit, having watched again within the last few days, the effects look a lot more hit and miss now. The CG doesn't hold up so well, but the practical effects absolutely still do. The characters feel real. They have their stakes in this invasion. Will Smith's Steven Hiller is trying to return to his girlfriend and her son. Bill Pullman's president wants to keep the people safe (including his family). Randy Quaid's Russell Case is a drunk dealing with an alien probing he may or may not have actually endured. Everyone has their share of big, stupid, fun movies that they enjoy. This is one of mine. I love this movie because of the characters. I love this movie because of the action sequences. I love this movie because of the leaps in logic that are taken here and there. I love the ultimate "America! Fuck Yeah!" speech that Bill Pullman gives near the end of the movie. What else can I say but: "This day, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

10 / 10  

No comments:

Post a Comment