Friday, September 28, 2018

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

image source

I’ve never exactly made it a secret that I’m no fan of Teen Titans Go. I honestly think it’s one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I couldn’t even get through one episode before I shut it off and stopped watching. Naturally, I was less than thrilled at the thought of the show getting a theatrical movie. The first surprise I got was the thought that there were moments in the trailer that made me laugh. This actually extended to the movie as well. I will gladly compliment the voice cast (as the actors voicing the Titans are established voice actors like Greg Cipes, Khary Payton, and Tara Strong). The supporting cast is rounded by the likes of Kristen Bell, Will Arnett, and Nicolas Cage (voicing Superman in an awesome in-joke). Some of the Meta jokes worked. I mentioned having Nicolas Cage voice Superman. There’s also a decent dig at the movie Green Lantern. The whole story of Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is the Teen Titans wanting to get their own movie. The movie also has a funny cameo, and a good dig at the glut of superhero movies we’ve been getting for the last several years. A lot of the jokes just don’t land either however. There’s a point where the Teen Titans try to be real superheroes, but are distracted when they sing a rap song about themselves. This wasn’t funny to me, so much as confusing. This movie can also suffer from letting certain jokes go on too long. There’s a running joke about supervillains and how they have menacing sounding names. It was decent the first two times. The third time seemed to quit varying the joke, and just wasn’t funny this time. So, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies wasn’t a god-awful disaster of a movie, but that doesn’t make it a good movie either. It’s just kind of a so-so effort, at best.


5 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment