Thursday, July 11, 2019

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

image source

Picking up not too long after the events of John Wick: Chapter 2, John finds himself in a dangerous situation as he must navigate Manhattan, and will also travel across the world in spots as well. This is one of those movies I was really excited for. For the most part, it really didn’t disappoint me. The acting is pretty solid all around. I was really happy to see them bring Laurence Fishburne back for another small but memorable role. I also really liked Halle Berry as the character Sofia. She’s a woman with ties to John’s past. However, I wish she had a bigger role, even if I really liked what I saw of her. I also loved Mark Dacascos as the villainous Zero. Zero is this character who feels like he’s fanboying over John Wick one second, and legitimately willing to kill him the next second. In less capable hands, I might actually hate this character, but I really think he works in this movie. Once again, the action feels like the true star of the show, and I mean this as the highest compliment. The action feels brutal in the best way possible. The way Chad Stahelski films it is exceptional too. I can’t express just how glad I am that it feels like we’re beginning to move away from shaky cam. I love that you can actually make out every aspect of the action in this film. On the more negative side of things, there’s a subplot introduced in this film I think should have been reworked a little bit. As it stands, it doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s hard to talk about, because a lot of the specifics deal with spoilers. It’s also the part of the movie that kind of seems to drag on the most for me, and is the one part of the movie that kind of disrupts the flow a little bit. Don’t get me wrong, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum is still a damn entertaining movie, and pretty solid overall. But, I also feel like it’s probably my least favorite of the three films as well. 

8 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment