Monday, August 28, 2017

Linkin Park - Meteora

image source
The album opens with a 15 second introduction simply called Foreword. It isn’t bad or anything, but I do think it could have just added to the second track. It’s not really long enough in my opinion to truly warrant being its own thing, but it does segue into the second track nicely enough. Don’t Stay is the second track on the album, and pretty perfectly reintroduces Linkin Park. Chester Bennington practically carries the song vocally. The instrumentation on the song is incredible, excellently blending the electronic feel that will really encompass later on with the sound that made them who they were at the time. Lyrically, the song is fine. There’s nothing inherently bad. The issue is there isn’t really anything about them that stands out. As an example of how to truly make Chester the standout and amplify what Don’t Stay tried to do, look no further than Somewhere I Belong. This is a track that I feel truly shows just how well Chester and Mike Shinoda can balance each other out. This is one of the best songs on the album lyrically, which is why I truly feel this song is considered a classic among Linkin Park fans. Lying From You is a good song on the album with a pretty solid and memorable chorus. It has the difficult task of following Somewhere I Belong, and kind of struggles to stack up in comparison, but that doesn’t make it a bad song by any means. Hit the Floor really is Mike Shinoda’s showcase. Yes, the instruments do a very good job setting up the mood of the song and what you are ultimately in for. Chester Bennington tackles the chorus and has the right level of anger and intensity. The only real issue I have with the song is that, while I think the instruments start off well and good, they ultimately bleed into the background. Easier to Run is a song that feels softer than a lot of what came before. Chester and Mike are quieter than normal. The instruments have a hint of aggression. Even when Chester raises his voice, it doesn’t feel angry. Ultimately, this is a song that seems to be about regret. It feels as though the two are talking about wanting to be better men, but it’s easier to take the coward’s way out. Faint returns to the aggression and anger that the rest of the album (save for Somewhere I Belong) conveys. Similar to Easier to Run and Lying From You, there’s a hint that this song could be about a past relationship. At this point in the album, I really have started to notice just how short a lot of these songs are, most of them clocking right around 2 to 3 minutes in length. Figure.09 has always been one of those songs I’ve liked, but have really put on repeat. Simply put, it just never was one I easily connected with. I’m not fully sure why. Listening to it with adult years doesn’t really change that, unfortunately. I still think this is a good song. It just doesn’t have much replay value for me. Breaking the Habit is one of the two best songs to truly show Chester Bennington at his absolute best. His voice and the instruments work together at their probable best here. This is easily one of the 3 best songs on the album in my opinion. It’s one that I didn’t really appreciate that much when I was in high school, but has really grown on me over the years. I know that Chester Bennington had his struggles with drugs and alcohol. While the song never explicitly says that’s what this song is about, it does make me wonder. From the Inside feels a touch to similar to Easier to Run. It hits a lot of the same beats. It’s a softer, more melodic song that gives Chester and Mike the chance to slow down a little bit (with the occasional dip into anger). Even with Chester actually letting some of his anger loose, I think this is one of the weaker songs on the album. It just feels a little been-there done that without the more intriguing meaning behind some of the other songs on the album. Nobody’s Listening is the song on the album that pumps me up the most. It’s always had a solid repeat value for me. The chorus is pretty damn good in my opinion. But, listening to it again, it’s not a perfect song. Outside of the chorus, the lyrics don’t really leave much of an impression. The instrumentation and mixing is upbeat and matches the song, but it’s not something I ever really think about either. Session is the sole instrumental track on the album. It does have a nice enough blend of electronic and rock. That said, this is the one that has the least replay value for me. It’s a short song, clocking in at 2 and a half minutes, but it feels longer than that. It probably doesn’t help that I honestly feel this is the song that has aged the most poorly. Numb is the final track on the album, and I honestly think they saved the best for last. I feel that there easily could be multiple meanings to gleam from this. This felt like it was one of the ones that had the most time and effort put into it. Overall, Meteora is a solid second album that does progress the band, but isn’t as good as their first effort         


3.9 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment