Thursday, March 26, 2020

Upgrade

image source
Grey Trace (played by Logan Marshall-Green) and his wife are in a car accident. A group of men stumble upon the wreck, kill his wife, and leave Grey paralyzed. Several months later, A reclusive billionaire offers Grey an operation that will allow him to walk again by attaching an AI to his spine. Grey and the AI, known as STEM, soon begin working together to find the men who murdered Grey's wife. So, this movie came out in 2018, but I didn't get a chance to actually see it until a couple of days ago. I just gotta say, this is a movie that really lived up to the hype. I went into this movie knowing only some of the basic premise, making some of the twists and turns a lot of fun for me as I saw them unravel as the movie went on. The film is written and directed by Leigh Whannell (the same guy who wrote Dead Silence, the first two Insidious movies and the first Saw, and also wrote and directed Insidious: Chapter 3 and The Invisible Man). This film is a true showcase for his talents. As much as I really like the performances in the film, particularly Logan Marshall-Green in the lead role, it really is Whannell who feels like the star of the show here. The whole time, there's a sense of atmosphere, making the moment where Grey truly allows to unleash STEM feel as earned as it possibly can. The violence is brutal in the best way possible, and actually managed to make me cringe in a couple of spots. Trust me, that is not an easy thing to do, and I have the utmost respect for this film for actually making it work. Overall, this is one of those movies where pretty much everything about it stood to me in a good way. If you haven't seen it yet, then I highly recommend Upgrade.   

10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment