Sunday, January 24, 2016

Top 50 Favorite TV Shows (30 - 21)

#30: Beetlejuice: Beetlejuice is a little dark, and a little twisted. Basically, it follows my sense of humor. It carries some of the horror-comedy elements of the movie it was based on. The one major difference is the changing of the Lydia and Betelgeuse characters into a friendship. I really think this television show was a hidden gem that I recommend checking out. 
    
#29: Futurama: Of the two shows that Matt Groening has created, while The Simpsons is the more iconic of the two, I personally think Futurama is a little bit funnier. The humor is darker and a little more adult. Each of the characters is very distinct in their traits. My personal favorites are Bender, the Professor, and Zoidberg. Good news everyone, this is a funny show. 
   
#28: Malcolm in the Middle: I have to admit, it's kind of interesting watching Bryan Cranston in Malcolm in the Middle after associating him mostly with his work things like Breaking Bad, Drive, and Godzilla. In this show, he shows he's pretty damn funny as the eccentric, goofy family patriarch. But, I do also think the entire show is funny, and I like that it offers the perspective of the middle child, and the great comedic opportunities that can arise from that .
    
#27: That 70s Show: The reason I have That 70s Show a little higher than Malcolm in the Middle is because I'm more familiar with it. The characters stand out for me. Are they generally simple? Yes, but that's where I think these particular characters succeed. The actors all generally work off each other well, and actually do feel like they are friends. Yes, the show lost some steam later on. To be fair, almost all shows do that when they go on long enough, but that doesn't detract too much for me. 

  
#26: Monk: Have I said that I like mysteries? I like mysteries. Monk is one of those shows that puts the rare comedic spin on the mystery / procedural genre. The show follows Adrian Monk, a private detective with OCD, who provides most of the show's comedy, all the while suffering a tragedy.
  
#25: The Blacklist: The Blacklist follows career criminal Raymond Reddington, who willingly walks into the FBI, and turns himself in with the promise of giving them the names and identities off a list he has compiled of the most dangerous criminals the FBI's never heard of. The only catch is, the only person he'll talk to is a rookie profiler. From there, secrets are exposed, and questions surface. 
  
#24: NCIS: The mystery aspect aside, what I love about NCIS is the characters. This team acts as something of a surrogate dysfunctional family, with the actors genuinely brining this to life with what I feel is pretty solid chemistry. 

#23: Robot Chicken: Robot Chicken comes from the slightly demented mind of the hilarious Seth Green. The Adult Swim staple has grown such a following because the humor and parodies are so bizarre, they're hilarious. Two favorites that stick out to me are one where the gang from Scooby-Doo go to Camp Crystal Lake and get massacred by Jason Voorhees, and one where the group from Saved by the Bell are put into a situation from a Saw movie. 
     
#22: Goosebumps: Goosebumps is on the list as my de facto guilty pleasure show. It's nostalgic for me, and I still have fun with it, even if I can go back to it, and realize the effects and acting really don't hold up. I think everybody's got that one show that they love, even if they can acknowledge that it's not the best, and Goosebumps is mine. 
  
#21: Supernatural: I still love Supernatural, even if I do think it's starting to waver in quality. The early episodes feel sort of like The X-Files, where our two protagonists travel around in '67 Chevy Impala, hunting things that go bump in the night. It can be scary. It can be funny. It can be dramatic.

1 comment: