Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Girl on the Train

Image Source
The Girl on the Train is directed by Tate Taylor and stars Emily Blunt, Rebecca Ferguson, Haley Bennett, and Luke Evans. Blunt portrays Rachel Watson. She is divorced from her husband, and is an alcoholic. She rides the train every day, constantly watching the people she sees, even imagining fictional lives for them from time to time. One day, Megan Hipwell, (Haley Bennett) the woman she watches the most, goes missing. Rachel decides to take things into her own hands. She also has to deal with being one of the suspects because she had been seen in the area, and was blacked out in a drunken stupor. Now, this movie is something of a slow burn, and it’s going to turn a lot of people off. But, I really liked this movie. The mystery itself was intriguing, and I was invested the entire time. Emily Blunt is probably one of the best actresses working today, and this movie is no exception. The entire time, I was engrossed in this drunken, broken, borderline psychotic woman who may just be the best female antihero I’ve seen this year. This is almost entirely because of Blunt herself. The climax works mostly because the entire film to me felt like a powder keg waiting to blow, and this was when things finally blew up. Honestly, I didn’t see the twist coming at the end. On the other hand, this isn’t something I see being put on the same pedestal as Fight Club, The Sixth Sense, or The Empire Strikes Back. They kind of play with the idea of an unreliable narrator in a way I don’t normally see. There are certain characters I started to suspect, but I also wasn’t 100% percent sure if I was right or wrong in my personal suspicions. There are some character moments in the movie that didn’t gel with me all that well, and the slow pace can bog the movie down a touch at times, but it never really compromised the movie for me.


9 / 10  

No comments:

Post a Comment