Thursday, February 23, 2017

Rings

Image Source
Rings is the third film in the American Ring franchise. When I first heard that this movie was happening, I was actually pretty excited. I actually really liked Gore Verbinski’s The Ring. There was this chilling atmosphere to the movie that helped make it feel fresh and new, even though it was technically a remake. I find it funny that this movie was so heavily panned by critics. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad movie, but I don’t think it’s 6% on Rotten Tomatoes bad. The main two actors are awful. They are both bland and lifeless. They have little to no chemistry with one another, or the much more talented supporting cast. Johnny Galecki plays a college professor who is using the tape to conduct experiments. I feel that there is something to this idea, but it just wasn’t executed well enough. I wish Galecki was the main character in the film over the two dull college students I’m stuck with. The filmmakers kind of, sort of attempt to flesh this storyline out a little bit, but I don’t know how exactly he figured out how to copy the tape as a way to escape its wrath. This is actually something people just kind of know in this movie, but at no point is the audience either shown or told how characters know this information. The opening scene was terrible. Thankfully, the rest of the movie that followed was nowhere near as bad. In this one scenes, the rules established by the first Ring movie feel like they are almost entirely negated. Overall, while Rings does have some good ideas, and a couple of decent performances, it suffers from half-assed execution, a terrible opening scene, and lifeless lead performances.  


3 / 10

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I have to talk to you about this movie! :)
    Some of the dumb moves pulled to advance the plot...and things weren't explained as clearly as they should have been.

    ReplyDelete