Tuesday, January 16, 2018

White Chicks

I know what you're thinking. Why the fuck am I reviewing White Chicks? The answer is: because I can. I first saw this movie when I was 9 years old, probably the perfect time for me think this was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. So, can I look at this movie almost fifteen years later and still really enjoy it? Honestly, yeah, kind of. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great movie. Hell, I think calling it a good movie might even be a stretch. In this movie's defense, I don't think this is a movie that was necessarily made for critics. The humor is juvenile, maybe even borderline offensive. But, I'd be lying I said this movie didn't make me laugh. Some of the biggest laughs I get out of this movie happen every time Terry Crews is onscreen. The man just has this natural charm and charisma to seems to lend even the worst projects just a little bit of credibility. This movie is no exception. Every time I see him, it looks like he is just having the time of his life, and is willing to go with it for even the stupidest moments.

This scene to me is the perfect example. I died laughing. There is no way I should laugh so hard at this scene, but I do. Again, this isn't a "good" movie. There are moments where I wasn't laughing so much just feeling kind of uncomfortable (and definitely not in a good way).

This is the scene that most encompasses the moments of the movie that I legitimately think don't work at all. This scene isn't all that funny to me, it was just kind of awkward. That said, the other performer I kind of want to give props to is Jennifer Carpenter. She doesn't have a big role, but I think he does the best can with what she's got. Overall, White Chicks does still have its laughs for me. I definitely don't see this as a comedy masterpiece like I did when I was 9 (something I'm kind of thankful for), but I still think this might be one of my personal guilty pleasures. It's a movie I think is funny, even though I know I really shouldn't.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy this delightful piece of ridiculousness even with all the low-brow humor. The only part I really don't like is the whole romantic story line between the one guy and the reporter. Like, I don't GAF, move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly forgot to mention that. But, I think that speaks on the impact the romantic subplot actually had on the movie.

      Delete