Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Top 10 Worst Movies of 2018

Yesterday, I went through my favorite movies of the year. Today, I'm doing the opposite. These are the 10 movies I saw this year that I hated the most.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Woody Woodpecker, Billionaire Boys Club, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Terminal, Acrimony, Chokehold

#10: The Predator: I honestly didn't expect to be putting The Predator in this number 10 spot. It was probably the movie that disappointed me the most this year, especially coming from someone as talented as Shane Black.

#9: Fifty Shades Freed: Am I being a little kinder to this one because it's supposedly the last movie in this franchise? Yes. Don't get me wrong. All of the flaws that were there for the first two films are still here. At the very least, this one got some unintentional laughs out of me.

#8: A Wrinkle in Time: This was one of the hardest movies for me to sit through this year. The visuals are nice. Storm Reid and Chris Pine are really good in the film. Those are probably the positives I could muster out of this movie. The rest of it just felt kind of empty. It comes off as trying to be the next big family movie instead of just trying to be a good movie.

#7: Deep Blue Sea 2: This is a movie I kind of contemplated on whether or not to put on the list. Did I really feel okay with picking on a direct to video movie like this? Yes. Yes I did. The effects are awful. The acting is atrocious. The writing is garbage. This feels like a near carbon copy of Deep Blue Sea without any of the guilty pleasure charm that the first movie had.

#6: Truth or Dare: Truth or Dare was one of the absolute worst horror movies of the year. However, it was also one of the best comedies of the year. If you do happen to watch this movie, you'll enjoy yourself if you go into it expecting a comedy. The faces that the characters make when they offer "truth or dare" are some of the funniest things I have ever seen try and fail to be scary.

#5: Robin Hood: Robin Hood was, hands down, the most misguided movie of 2018. Almost every decision felt wrong in some way. The movie relied on gimmicks that are about ten years old. The cast is clearly trying, but they seem to have nothing of actual substance to work with. The filmmakers also desperately wanted this to be the launching pad for a cinematic universe (even if it doesn't fit Robin Hood).

#4: Nobody's Fool: I personally found Tyler Perry's Acrimony to just be sort of bland. I can't say the same about his other movie that came out in 2018. Nobody's Fool suffers from the same problems that all of Tyler Perry's movies tend to suffer from. This isn't funny. It's just obnoxious.

#3: Gotti: From the very first frame, Gotti was a mess of a movie. It was badly written and badly acted. But, this movie's crowning achievement of awfulness has to be Kevin Connolly's directing. Gotti seemed to be inept on just about every level possible.

#2: Slender Man: As bad as Truth or Dare was, at least it was entertaining. The same can not be said of Slender Man. This was a dull, plodding waste of time. The character of Slender Man is interesting enough to have a horror movie of his own. I just wish it could have been something better than a xerox of the far superior The Ring. 

#1: Show Dogs: I said in my review for this movie that "there isn't a single frame of this movie that can be enjoyed on any level." I first watched this in mid-November. I hated when I first saw it for the lazy piece of shit that it was. My opinion has only grown more negative the the more I thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment