Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Glass

image source

Glass serves as a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split, and is effectively the final chapter of M. Night Shyamalan’s Eastrail 177 Trilogy. Following the events of Split, David Dunn (played by Bruce Willis) is hunting Kevin Wendall Crumb a.k.a. The Horde (played by James McAvoy). When they cross paths, both men are captured and institutionalized alongside Elijah Price a.k.a. Mr. Glass (played by Samuel L. Jackson). While the three are institutionalized, they are studied by a a doctor (played by Sarah Paulson). Her goal is to convince them that they are not super powered, like they believe they are. First things first, the performances in this film are excellent all around. The one that I think makes me the happiest is Bruce Willis. In the past several years, the man seems to have stopped caring. So, I’m happy that David Dunn is a character that Willis himself seems invested in. One of the biggest criticisms I have heard levied toward this movie is that there isn’t enough of Glass in this movie. I can certainly understand that criticism, but I personally don’t agree with it. Glass is sort of the mastermind, pulling strings behind the scenes for a lot of the events within the movie. The other criticism I have heard levied heavily against this film is the ending. The ending for this film didn’t bother me either. If anything, it felt bittersweet to me. Neither Unbreakable nor Glass were particularly happy movies to begin with, so the ending to the film actually made sense in my eyes. The trailer actually makes this film look a little more action-packed than it actually is. Don’t go into Glass expecting this to be a major action film. I will admit that some of Shyamalan’s awkward dialogue does slip here and there. Fortunately, it feels incredibly limited in this movie. I have to give Glass a recommendation, though I would advise cautious optimism due to this movie’s divisive nature. 

9 / 10   

No comments:

Post a Comment