Saturday, December 21, 2019

Black Christmas (2019)

image source

Black Christmas is the second remake of the classic film from the 1970s. Without going into spoilers, this film really does go in a very different direction than either the original or the first remake. I almost feel bad. The actors in the film are clearly trying. Imogen Poots in the lead particularly feels like her performance deserves to be attached to a much better film than the one I got. Alright, I have a lot to unpack with this movie. For starters, I kind of appreciate that this movie tried to talk about some pretty serious things. By comparison, the original did something similar. However, the original was far more subtle in its intent. This version prefers to take the approach of beating you over the head with its political views. Most of the characters kind of suck. I don’t necessarily mean that they’re shallow. I would typically expect that out of a slasher movie, and this tries to give some depth. Adding on to that point, the writing is genuinely pretty bad. But, my biggest problem with this film (and the thing that actually tempered my initial excitement) is the film’s PG-13 rating, especially because this film apparently was originally shot to be an R. So, the PG-13 move only suggests money to me. Overall, I don’t think there’s that much more for me to say about Black Christmas 2019 other than to say that I really didn’t like it.  

2 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. Glad we didn't see it in theaters. Definitely going to wait for the rental or Netflix or whatever.

    ReplyDelete