Saturday, December 21, 2019

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


image source

The Rise of Skywalker follows our heroes as they fight to stop an enemy from the past. Once again, I really do enjoy these characters, and I actually like the way they explore Rey in particular. The film looks great from a visual standpoint as well. The action is actually pretty damn good, at least in terms of the lightsaber battles. The final space battle is okay, but it does feel a little bit bloated at the same time. The story is fine. I do have some legitimate problems with the movie though. For example, a good chunk of the humor doesn’t land quite right. There were some spots where I kind of felt the movie drag. There were also some things in the plot that just kind of felt like they didn’t need to be there. For example, there’s a point where Finn tells Rey he has to tell her something, but all it really amounts to is some somewhat funny banter, and ultimately serves no importance to the plot and doesn’t progress things forward. That is about as far as I will go in terms of potential spoilers with the movie. Overall, I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker. It’s got some pretty major flaws in its storytelling, but I also think that what’s good about the film is really good.  

6 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. It was enjoyable and fine. Didn't blow me away. I have a lot of problems with it, but it didn't s-u-c-k. It just was.

    ReplyDelete