Friday, January 3, 2020

Top 15 Most Anticipated Movies of 2020

Now that I have my best and worst lists out of the way, I think it's time for me to look at the movies I am the most interested in over the next 12 months.

Honorable Mentions:

Mulan, The Organ Donor, A Quiet Place Part II, Fast & Furious 9, Candyman, Soul, Top Gun: Maverick, Venom 2, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

#15: Bad Boys for Life: As far as Bad Boys 3 goes, I'm not expecting this to be high art. This movie is purely on my list because Will Smith and Martin Lawrence genuinely have good chemistry together. This is also the first movie in the Bad Boys series not to be directed by Michael Bay, so I'm curious to see how another director handles his style.

#14: Onward: Onward is an upcoming Pixar film that seems like it takes place in a fantasy world, but also has a mix of our current modern day look. This looks like it could be a movie right up Pixar's alley, and I love the additions of Chris Pratt and Tom Holland as the leads.

#13: The Eternals: The Eternals is one of two MCU movies coming out next year. This is one that has me incredibly curious because I know next to nothing about the Eternals as characters. At this point, there hasn't even been a trailer yet. I have no clue what to expect.

#12: Godzilla vs. Kong: Had I thought King of the Monsters was a better movie, this probably would have been a lot higher. However, I am still incredibly excited to see two of the ultimate classic giant monsters throw down on the big screen.

#11: Birds of Prey: DC is really starting to find their footing with their cinematic universe. I can't quite eke Birds of Prey into the top 10 simply because I still think this movie is such a wild card, but that's also why I'm so interested in this movie in the first place. If anything, there is still Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

#10: Bill and Ted Face the Music: Keanu Reeves has been enjoying a career resurgence lately thanks to the John Wick movies. I'm both interested in Bill and Ted 3, as well as a little bit skeptical. Comedy sequels that happen several years later rarely work. But, I'm just excited to see these characters again.

#09: Free Guy: Until I saw a trailer, I had no idea that this movie was a thing. The premise is that Ryan Reynolds plays an NPC in a video game who becomes self-aware. The premise mixed with the star is enough to make me want to see this movie.

#08: No Time to Die: Supposedly, this is going to be Daniel Craig's last go-around as James Bond. As someone who actually enjoyed Spectre, I am happy to see that Christoph Waltz is returning as Blofeld. The villain this time around is being played by Rami Malek. All of this makes me interested in this movie.

#07: Wonder Woman 1984: Wonder Woman was the first movie in the DCEU that got people excited. The movie does have Gal Gadot returning to play Wonder Woman, as well as bringing back Patty Jenkins to direct. I also am really excited by the addition of Pedro Pascal as Maxwell Lord. There are a couple of things that hold it back ever so slightly for me. One of them is Kristen Wiig as Cheetah. I just haven't seen her do enough dramatic or villainous roles to really show me that she can pull this off. The other is Chris Pine coming back to play Steve Trevor.

#06: Halloween Kills: I really liked 2018's Halloween, and I'm really happy to see the same creative team coming back. It looks like Danny McBride and David Gordon Green have a clear plan. This movie is also bringing back some legacy characters from the original movie, namely Tommy Doyle and Lindsay Wallace.

#05: Dune: I pretty much have Dune this high because it is being directed by Denis Villeneuve, the same man who directed Sicario and Arrival, both of which are movies I enjoyed very much. This is also an interesting cast to me as well.  

#04: Black Widow: Black Widow is as high on my list as it is because this is a movie I have been waiting for pretty much ever since Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Do I wish I got this movie sooner? Yes, but I'm honestly happy to be getting this movie at all.  

#03: Last Night in Soho: I don't much about Last Night in Soho other than that it stars Anya-Taylor Joy from The Witch and Split and it's directed by Edgar Wright. To me, that is reason enough for me to want to check this movie out.

#02: Tenet: Similar to how Last Night in Soho has me excited just because of a couple of names involved, Tenet gets to be as high on my list as it is because it's the next movie from Christopher Nolan. The only other thing I really know about this movie is that it looks like it's some kind of mystery movie. Sign me up.

#01: Ghostbusters: Afterlife: This movie is going to follow the family of Egon Spengler as his grandchildren seem poised to follow in their grandfather's footsteps. Supposedly, the original cast is also set to come back in some way. It also helps that this film is being directed by Jason Reitman (the son of the director of the original movie). To me, this has a lot of potential, and is probably the movie I am looking forward to the most in 2020.

1 comment:

  1. Is Margot Robbie still playing Harley Quinn? For some reason I thought they had cast someone else? It looks like her though. Huh.
    Mulan is the first live-action remake I've actually been interested in.

    ReplyDelete