Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Image Source
Recently, I had to ask myself a pretty huge question. Did keeping The Breakfast Club strictly in the 80s and for the most part, dating it actually make it more timeless? For the most part, I think it did. This is actually a very simple movie, but that's why I think it is so good, maybe even one of the best I have ever seen. The number of characters was sparse. The setting is simple. The movie does cut pretty with some of the dialogue. This movie really touches on some topics that are still relevant today, like peer pressure and suicide. The pop culture references maybe dated now, but it doesn't matter to me. This movie also created what I consider to be one of the greatest movie theme songs of all time in Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me. The acting is so good. There's a dynamic and chemistry that couldn't possibly be rivaled if the movie were to, for whatever reason, be remade today. Writer and director John Hughes really does a fantastic job balancing the touching and relatable dramatic moments and characters and the hilarious moments and comedy. One of the things I find most interesting about this movie to me is that it only took John Hughes 2 days to write it, and I think it might be one of the best written movies I've seen. I hold true to the statement that I do not believe there is truly such a thing as a truly perfect movie, but, as far as I'm concerned, The Breakfast Club is pretty damn close. As a statement to how good I think this movie is, when I was posting my series on my 50 favorite movies, I forgot this one (and it takes the place of Demolition Man for me.)

10 / 10   

No comments:

Post a Comment