Sunday, August 16, 2015

Straight Outta Compton

Image Source
First off, let me say this. Biopics are very hit and miss. For every Ray, you get an Alexander. I can honestly say that I loved this movie. The actors who play the core members of N.W.A. (as well as some of the surprise cameos you may or may not have expected) look and/or sound almost exactly like the real-life people they are portraying on-screen, as well giving pretty strong performances. Paul Giamatti gives an incredible performance. F. Gary Gray does a pretty solid job with the direction of the movie. For the most part, the screenplay is pretty tight. However, certain parts of the movie do feel a little glossed over that maybe should have been expanded more. On the other hand, the movie is two and a half hours long, so in terms of timing, I can understand certain things needing to be cut. The fact that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube have producing credits on this movie could also be part of it. No, this isn’t the most historically accurate movie ever, but what biopic ever truly is. It’s still a strong biopic and period piece that doesn’t really hold back any punches. For me, this is easily one of the best movies I have seen so far this year, and wanted to watch it again almost immediately after leaving the theater, and that may be just about the highest praise I can give a movie. I teetered for a little bit, but I think my rating should be obvious by now. 


10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment