Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Don't Breathe

 
Image Source
A trio of friends rob houses with the purpose of saving up enough money to leave their broken, crappy lives in inner-city Detroit. One of the houses they decide to rob is the house of a blind army vet. The vet proves to be a formidable opponent (and one of the best horror movie villains I’ve seen in a long time). One of the things I like about this movie is that director Fede Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues understand character development. In any other movie, I would probably hate the three main characters. However, the characters are fairly well-developed, especially Rocky (played by Jane Levy). I understand her dilemma, and actually want her to succeed. Now, do I feel the character development is as strong as, say, Lights Out? No, but I do feel that it’s there. The beginning of the movie is a little slow. I actually like this because it builds character. Once they enter the house, the shit hits the fan. I loved the use of music in the movie too. It almost always seems to have sense of putting the viewer in edge. Stephen Lang as the blind man gives a performance that simultaneously makes the blind man frightening and sympathetic, something essential to a good villain. The blind man’s house makes for a great contained setting. It looks like an actual, run-down house, and it feels lived in. There are moments in the movie where certain sounds drop out, and they are incredibly effective. I also want to praise some of the more disturbing scenes (namely one involving a turkey baster). Don’t Breathe works as a nerve-racking display of suspense and horror, making for what I believe to be the best horror movie of the year so far.


9 / 10             

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! This tips the scales and makes me want to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete