Sunday, September 25, 2016

Top 50 Favorite Songs (50 - 41)

Honorable Mentions:

This was a very hard list for me to whittle down, so here's a couple songs I felt bad about leaving off the list.

Sabotage by The Beastie Boys
Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Don't Stop Believing by Journey
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
School's Out by Alice Cooper
Ain't No Rest For the Wicked by Cage the Elephant
It's My Life by Bon Jovi 

#50: White Wedding by Billy Idol: With what may be one of the catchiest choruses ever, and a somewhat upbeat sound, you may never realize that this song actually is fairly sad. Either way, it's a great song from a great artist that I recommend listening to.

#49: Walkin' on the Sun by Smash Mouth: Smash Mouth's song seems to glorify the idea of getting off drugs. There's a real positivity to the song, and its instruments feel very laid back and smooth, something that works to the song's favor

#48: Hound Dog by Elvis Presley: I'll admit that I'm not necessarily the biggest Elvis Presley fan. That said, there's something about the energy that Elvis brings to this song, It's low on the list because there just isn't a lot I have to say about it.

#47: Renegade by Jay-Z & Eminem: Renegade is one of those songs where Jay and Em talk about where they are in pop culture at the time the song came out. Each one works off the other well in the song, sort of saying they are who they are and that they do what they do.

#46: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Marilyn Manson: Before you ask, yes, I do like the original version of the song as well. However, there's a sort of haunting, creepy atmosphere that lurks throughout Marilyn Manson's cover that works for me more than the original.

#45: What's My Age Again by Blink-182: Somehow, this song perfectly captures what it's like to be in that position where you don't really feel quite like an adult yet, but you're definitely not a teenager anymore. There's a mix of realism and humor that just makes the song work.

#44: Down with the Sickness by Disturbed: Alright, this is one of those songs that's really going to divide people. It's certainly not for everyone, and I respect that. However, the chaotic energy, lead singer Dave Draiman's inhuman screech, and some pounding instrumentation make for one of my favorite hard rock songs.

#43: Cleanin' Out My Closet by Eminem: To me, Cleanin' Out My Closet feels like Em is just getting some family issues off his chest that he's been dealing with for a while. It's angry, and the production feels like it's barely on point, which I mean as a compliment to the song on the whole.

#42: Come Together by The Beatles: What can I say about this song that hasn't already been said? The lyrics, singing, delivery, and instruments all work perfectly together, sort of like a well-oiled machine. It's one of the most famous songs by the Beatles, and for good reason.

#41: Undead by Hollywood Undead: Much like Down with the Sickness, this song is not for everyone. The verses are angry. The instruments are loud and energetic. Overall, this is a song that I listen to when I just want to get myself pumped up.     

1 comment: