Sunday, December 9, 2018

Aquaman

image source

Aquaman serves as the sixth film in the DC Extended Universe. Following the events of Justice League, Arthur Curry (played by Jason Momoa) is approached by Mera (played by Amber Heard) so that he can claim throne of Atlantis, and overthrow his half-brother Orm (played by Patrick Wilson) who plans to launch a war between Atlantis and the surface world. I am one of those people who has actually enjoyed all of the movies within the DCEU thus far, and this film is no no exception. One of the things I have honestly appreciated is that the films have actually moved away from being overly dark and gritty to injecting some humor into their films. I do think this one of the best movies in the DCEU. I know that might seem like something of a low bar, but this film is legitimately good. The acting is probably its greatest strength. Jason Momoa and Amber Heard have really good chemistry with one another, something I appreciated since they are the ones who have to carry this movie. For me, the best performances have to Temuera Morrison and Nicole Kidman as Arthur’s parents. The two of them aren’t onscreen very much. When they act opposite one another, they have really good chemistry. I fully buy that these two fell in love, and this is all accomplished in the first five to ten minutes of the movie. The movie’s action is really impressive. Hands down the best scene in the movie is one where Arthur and Mera are in Sicily. James Wan proves with this film that Furious 7 wasn’t a fluke for him. This film cements that the really is just as capable at directing action as he is at directing horror. There is a lot of CGI in the movie, but it never really reaches a point where it gets too distracting. Some parts of the story feel a bit predictable. For example, there’s a character that we’re constantly told is dead for most of the movie. From the get-go, I thought they were still alive mainly because this character was played by a big star. This movie also doesn’t really tread new ground wither. In fact, one could make the argument that this movie is sort of a mash-up between Black Panther and Thor. However, as is the case with those films, this aspect never really bothered me, especially because of the Shakespearean elements both of those films have. I will admit that there were times where the movie could get to me, even if I am more than willing to admit that they were pretty cheesy. Overall, Aquaman is actually a lot of fun, even if I didn’t necessarily think it was particularly great. I’d say give it a watch if you’re looking for a movie that’s going to provide you with some superhero fun.

8 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment