Saturday, December 29, 2018

Bumblebee

image source

The autobot Bumblebee is sent to Earth by Optimus Prime (voiced by Peter Cullen) to set up a base for the autobots to regroup. An attack on Earth by a decepticon leaves him with no voice and no memory. He befriends a teenage girl named Charlie (played by Hailee Steinfeld). This movie is the typical “kid and their pet” type of story. In this case, it’s a girl and her car. I know this isn’t the most original story, but if I’m being honest, I don’t really care. It’s a story that almost always works when it’s told. This is a film that Steven Spielberg himself probably would have made in the 1980s (which makes sense considering he’s been a producer on all of the Transformers movies). Director Travis Knight gives this movie some legitimate emotion and heart. You really understand the relationship between Steinfeld and the CGI robot. This is something that I have seen go right and go very wrong. I love how this movie manages to breath and take its time when it absolutely needs to. As usual, the slower pace won’t attract everybody. It didn’t really bother me in this case. One of the biggest things that helped this movie’s case was the fact that it was under two hours for once. John Cena is fun as the semi-villainous Agent Burns. This is a role that he could have gone way too far over the top with. But, he doesn’t really do that. Instead, he kind of tows the line. His best scene is easily his first where he really gets to show off his comedic chops. The film’s visual effects are outstanding. When I was watching this film, I never felt distracted. Maybe it was because I was able to suspend my disbelief, but I genuinely bought that Bumblebee was there the entire time (possibly moreso than in any of the other movies in the Transformers franchise). I also have to give props to this movie's amazing opening scene. Fans of both the movies and the original cartoon have been waiting to see the fall of Cybertron on a phenomenal cinematic scale. Bumblebee is the movie that truly delivers this. This is something I find interesting because, in many respects, this movie feels much smaller in scale compared to the rest of the franchise. I have loved all of the Transformers movies on something of a guilty pleasure level. So, I am honestly happy to say that I just enjoyed this a legitimately good movie. If you get the chance to see this movie, then I really do have to recommend it.

9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment