Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

image source

Hattie Shaw (played by Vanessa Kirby) is framed as a traitor by an enhanced supervillain called Brixton (played Idris Elba) after her team is massacred, forcing her to flee with a virus that poses a threat to the entire world. As a result, Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw (Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham reprising their roles from the main Fast and the Furious franchise) are brought in and forced to work together to bring Brixton down. OK, this movie clearly doesn’t much of an actual plot. It feels more like it’s an excuse to have a bunch of action sequences as well as have Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham say a bunch of one-liners. I didn’t go into this movie expecting high art. The bigger and dumber the movies in this franchise get, the more I honestly tend to enjoy them. Some of the writing is incredibly cheesy. But, I can’t really be that hard on the writing. After all, this is coming from someone who loves movies like Commando, Con Air, Face/Off, and Independence Day. I mean, this is a movie where Idris Elba gets to say the line “I’m black Superman.”It’s hard for me to say much more. This feels like it’s a movie in the loosest sense. It’s kind of good in all of the right ways, and it’s kind of bad in all of the right ways. If you are a fan of this franchise, then I really do recommend this film. If you’re not a fan, then this might just be the one I actually recommend seeing the most. I don’t want to guarantee anything, but it feels more like a buddy cop spy movie than anything else.   

7 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment