Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Girls with Balls

image source

So, not too long ago, I came across a movie on Netflix called Girls with Balls. The film is about a volleyball team that finds themselves being hunted for sport by a bunch of rednecks when their van breaks down. Based on that title and premise, I was legitimately intrigued. Let’s just say that the movie was something of an underwhelming experience for me. For a horror comedy, the horror didn’t work that well, and the comedy never really landed for me. I didn’t really find any of the characters all that interesting. It felt like the development was paper-thin. This is something of a catch-22 for me. There have been a lot of movies like this where I have been fairly lenient on characters not having much to them. I feel like part of my issue is that there really isn’t anyone here that I particularly like. This film is technically a foreign film. It’s dubbed into English. At first, this was something that really distracted me, mostly because I could just tell. Some of the character motivations feel like they just come out of nowhere, or that they could have been handled better. In the end, it feels like Girls with Balls was just a movie that didn’t seem like it really knew what it wanted to be. I would still say give it a chance, if only because your experience with a film like this may legitimately differ from my own. Even if I personally wasn’t a fan, I could actually see how someone else could be. 

3 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment