Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Divergent Series: Insurgent


Image Source
I am glad to say that I liked Insurgent. Generally, I thought the acting in the movie was pretty good, particularly from Shailene Woodley. The action sequences in the movie were entertaining, and there were some good moments of tension. I also would like to point some praise at Miles Teller, personally. I felt he brought some genuine charm and charisma to a character who should have been an unlikable douche bag. Unfortunately the movie isn’t free of its flaws. The movie grinds to a slow crawl at times, and teeters on the edge of being boring. This is a line, the movie, thankfully never outright crosses. Some of the romantic dialogue in the movie does feel a little cheesy, and all-around, unnecessary. At points, I honestly found myself confused as to what was happening. Fortunately, these kinds of moments didn’t happen often enough to detract from the movie too much. Octavia Spencer and Ray Stevenson were the two most wasted cast members, never seeming to be all that important to the overall story. Despite some pretty glaring flaws throughout, I thought Insurgent was a good enough popcorn movie. It was nothing deep, but it wasn’t too shallow either.  

7 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment