Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Top 50 Favorite TV Shows (10 - 1)

#10: American Horror Story: I think it's safe to say that American Horror Story is the show that could really bring the anthology horror series back to the main-stream. The reason that it isn't higher for me is because, I've actually enjoyed the progressing seasons less and less, though never to the point I feel it has become bad or unwatchable.
    
#09: Freaks and Geeks: Freaks and Geeks is one of those shows that has had a lasting impact despite only eeking out one season from 1999 to 2000. Some of today's bigger stars really got their start here, including Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jason Segel. Part of what I liked about the show is that, to me, it legitimately felt like high school. By that, I mean they struck a pretty solid balance between dramatic moments and genuine laughs. All of these characters felt real, and I understood the problems they were all going through, either because I had gone through them myself or saw firsthand people I know go through them. 
  
#08: Batman: The Animated Series: Batman: The Animated Series came out in a time where it really needed to happen. What I mean by this is that with a couple of exceptions, the comic book movies of the time were represented by the likes of Spawn, Batman & Robin, Judge Dredd, and Steel. This animated children's show never pandered to its audience. It respected them, and in a lot of ways was geared towards adults. 

#07: South Park: Whenever I'm asked to describe South Park's humor, I always say the same thing. It's intelligent commentary disguised as toilet humor, and they always seem to know what to tackle and how to tackle. That's why I think it is one of the few shows that has stayed consistent despite being on the air for 15 to 20 years. 
  
#06: Scooby-Doo: Where Are You: Scooby-Doo's nostalgic charm has lasted so many years thanks to its simplicity and repetition. However the simplicity and repetition work in the show's favor, and was always a favorite of mine. Every episode offers a monster the gang unmasks by the end of the 30 minutes. No matter what, I will always love this show, and its characters (save for Fred).
   
#05: Dexter: Dexter is about a man who works for the Miami Metro Homicide Department by day, and by night, he works to clean up the streets of Miami, one serial killer at a time. Dexter's backstory is that he witnessed his mother's murder at a very young age, and because of this, his adoptive cop father found a way to help him harness his darkness for good, and there's something about that backstory that just fascinates me.

#04: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Well, let's talk a little bit about a man named Joss Whedon. He is one of my favorite filmmakers working today, as both a writer and a director. Buffy really is one of those shows that showcased Joss's talent early on, and his ability to make strong, relatable characters (especially females). All of the characters have personality and dimension to them. Do I necessarily think every single episode lands? No, but most of them do, and I can't fault that. 
  
#03: Darkwing Duck: As a kid, I was mostly fascinated by the fact that this was a colorful show about a talking duck superhero. I wasn't until I was older that I really understood that Darkwing was selfish, egotistical, and in the superhero business for all of the wrong reasons. As I got older, I was really able to fully understand the relationship between Darkwing and his adoptive daughter, Gosalyn. 
  
#02: Game of Thrones: Game of Thrones is one of those shows where I started watching it, and was immediately hooked. This show has really been able to ramp itself up. This is a show where every episode, I'm nervous. One of the show's main features is the understanding that any of the main characters could die at any point, and I love that because it means that I'm always on edge.
  
#01: Firefly: It might seem strange that I would choose a show that didn't even get a full season as my personal favorite show. Here's the thing, I love Joss Whedon's work. I love the characters. They are all well rounded and well-defined. The science fiction, action, adventure, and comedy all blend together perfectly. I have seen every single episode multiple times and each time it still feels fresh.

1 comment:

  1. The great thing about Darkwing is that he is selfish and egomaniacal and has all these faults, but we still love him and still root for him. And let's be honest: that show had some seriously great villains.

    ReplyDelete