Friday, May 6, 2016

Captain America: Civil War

Image Source
 Captain America: Civil War is the thirteenth overall entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I firmly believe this is one of the best movies Marvel has ever done, taking its place along with The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first Iron Man, and The Winter Solider as one of my top five MCU movies. There appears to be a lot that needs to be balanced, and the Russo Brothers manage this juggling act incredibly effectively. Civil War takes Marvel into a gray area they don’t normally explore. You’re effectively given the two sides to this argument that these characters are dealing with, and you’re given the pros and cons for both sides. I like the idea the actions of the Avengers can sometimes have consequences, and this movie does a really good job addressing that. All of the actors shine in their roles. Chris Evans, Robert Downey, Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, and Sebastian Stan are the ones who really stand out to me. These are performers that manage to give depth to their characters and relationships. Downey should be commended in particular. To me, this feels like his movie in the same way I felt Age of Ultron belonged to Jeremy Renner. Downey’s emotions are one of Civil War’s anchors. Of course, that’s not to take away from franchise newcomers Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman, both of whom I can’t wait to see more of. As for the addition of Baron Zemo, I felt that, at first, he was unnecessary. But, by the end of the movie, I felt that they did a decent job of working him into the story without it feeling forced.


10 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. I was mildly interested in this movie before, but now I really want to see it.

    ReplyDelete