Sunday, October 1, 2017

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

image source
I Know What You Did Last Summer was a box office success, and one year later, a sequel came out. In some ways, I do think this movie was improvement on the first movie. In other ways, it was worse. The story is this. One year after the events of the first film, Julie James (played by Jennifer Love Hewitt) is still shaken by the murders of her friends, to a point she doesn't want to go back to her hometown. She and a couple of her friends (Brandy, Mekhi Phifer, and Matthew Settle) win a weekend getaway to the Bahamas. From there, her past starts catching up with her. The killer begins brutally murdering people. Jennifer Love Hewitt is a lot better in this movie than she was in the first. Brandy and Mekhi Phifer are pretty fun too. I also like Jeffrey Combs as this creepy, stuck-up hotel manager (he might be my favorite part of the movie). I also think this movie was a little bit better paced than the first movie. The first movie took some time to develop its characters. In this one, it starts killing people a little sooner, and the body count's bigger. For the most part, the characters were a little more likable and entertaining this time around (even the two returning characters from the first one). However, this movie isn't free of problems. I am a fan of Jack Black, but I just found him insufferable in this movie. Thank God he wasn't in it very much. Matthew Settle as Will was also pretty wooden in a lot of his delivery. Watching this movie and thinking about it, I couldn't help but wonder if Freddie Prinze Jr.'s character was originally supposed to die. He ends up in the hospital and escapes about 20 minutes or so into the movie. From this point up until the climax, it feels disjointed any time it cuts to him, and doesn't feel necessary. The beginning scene didn't work that well for me either. Personally, I think it would have made more sense to have the ending scene of the first movie be the nightmare in the beginning of this one. It does a better job of tying the two movies together. Overall, I'd say this movie's about on par with the first movie. It does some things better, but also has a lot the same blunders.

6 / 10     

No comments:

Post a Comment