Saturday, October 14, 2017

Ranking the Child's Play Movies

This is just the way I personally would rank each movie within the Child's Play franchise.

#7: Seed of Chucky: While I do think there are some decent moments in Seed, the overall movie isn't very good, leaning even more into comedy than the previous movie in the franchise. The three main performers are pretty good. By that, I mean the dolls / Jennifer Tilly playing herself. Redman in this movie is not good.

#6: Child's Play 3: The military school setting is interesting. This is a setting we don't really see in slasher movies. The problem is that outside of Brad Dourif as Chucky, the rest of the acting really doesn't stand up to it. The kills feel very hit-and-miss. This movie has a lot of very comical kills. The issue with this is that Child's Play 3 came out when the franchise was still supposed to be taken seriously.

#5: Cult of Chucky: There are some good performances here (especially Brad Dourif and Fiona Dourif) and some cool, gruesome kills. The first two acts are pretty solid in my opinion. Most of my issues are with the third, which just left me with mixed feelings. Alongside that, I wish there would have been more interactions between Nica and Andy. Cult and Curse are probably the two most divisive movies in the series. I like this one just fine, I just prefer Curse a little bit more.

#4: Curse of Chucky: Curse of Chucky is the movie that brought things back to what the franchise originally was. Despite the fact that this is the first movie in the series to go direct-to-video, the acting is actually pretty strong, and I love the look of this movie. The best thing about this movie in my opinion is the addition of the character of Nica. She's disabled, but she never really lets that stop her. Plus, how often do you actually see someone with a disability as the hero in a slasher movie?

#3: Bride of Chucky: So, objectively, Curse of Chucky is probably a "better" movie than Bride. The thing is, I have absolute blast watching this movie. This is one of my ultimate guilty pleasures. Brad Dourif is always fun as Chucky. This is the movie that introduces Jennifer Tilly as Tiffany to the franchise. I LOVE John Ritter in this movie. He's just so entertaining as a slimy cop, that you kind of have to watch him. This is one of the VERY few times I can think of where I didn't hate Katherine Heigl in a movie.

#2: Child's Play 2: Child's Play 2 is probably the best of the sequels. I like the foster-sibling  relationship between Andy and Kyle. A lot of the kills are pretty entertaining. I like Chucky's one-liners. They are entertaining, but they don't go too overboard. Andy feels like he belongs in this story. You do have to suspend your disbelief a bit at times (more so than usual when you have a killer doll).

#1: Child's Play: Do I even need to say anything? Did you think that anything but the original could even take the number one spot?

1 comment: