Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Scream 2

image source
I reviewed the first Scream movie a while ago. Now that October's here, I want to finish what I started. Scream 2 was released a year after the first movie. In this film, Sidney Prescott (played again by Neve Campbell) is attending college. A film based on the events of the first movie has been released, and the body count starts up again. The cast is bigger, which also raises the body count from the first movie. This can be a bit of a detriment, as suspicion is cast on so many characters things can get muddled. The cast is very good. My favorite aspect is probably the addition of Liev Schreiber as Cotton Weary. The guy is clearly a shit-head, but he so wants to look like the good guy, and Schreiber is just having the time of his life. To be fair, I don't want to take away from Jamie Kennedy as Randy in this movie. Randy is my favorite character in the Scream franchise. Once again, he's charismatic and entertaining to watch. When the killer is revealed, it's meaningful. This movie also has my favorite of all the killers in the franchise. A lot of this movie is incredibly clever. There's a scene where a character goes into a bathroom, and it actually could be seen as foreshadowing to the end of the movie. The first two victims in the movie are black (which obviously riffs on the fact that the black character always seems to die in horror movies). This movie may have a few more noticeable flaws compared to the first film, but I still think this is a worthy sequel.

9 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I very much enjoy this one. :) I love how Dewey angerly quotes Gail's book and is then "nice streaks!" lol Dewey got some sass.

    ReplyDelete