Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Avengers: Endgame

image source

In many ways, Endgame is sort of the end of an era. It is a cliche at this point, as everyone has said this, but this is the culmination of 22 Marvel films over the last 11 years. The Avengers must reassemble to find a way to reverse what Thanos (played by Josh Brolin) has done. For the record, there is a lot more to the plot, but going any further would force me to go into spoilers. One of the most daunting tasks a film can take is that of taking a film that is three hours long, and making it engaging. For me, this film is never boring. I feel as though negatives for me are really just minor nitpicks that I can easily forgive. Even then, I can’t really go into the small issues I have because, even then, those tie into spoilers that have a greater impact. I have to appreciate the marketing of this film as well. The trailers have shown some things, but nothing that reveals major plot points. Because of this, I felt that this movie offered genuine surprises. This is the last movie for some of the people who have been key players over the last decade. The sendoffs these characters are given carry an emotional weight in the best possible way. I really think major props should go to Robert Downey, Jr. (as usual) and Jeremy Renner. Hawkeye in this film feels like a different animal. Here, he’s a man whose experiences have changed him greatly, and he gets some fantastic moments where he shines. I don’t think it’s a secret that I’ve never exactly been the biggest fan of Hawkeye. So, I loved seeing him in such a different light. The man is given an emotional arc that really serves the film well. The third act is an incredible battle that seems to help bring everything up to this point to a fitting close. At the same time, Endgame still shows signs of a potential future for things that are yet to come. 

10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment