Sunday, April 7, 2019

Shazam!

image source

Billy Batson (played by Asher Angel) has spent most of his young life in the foster care system. One day, he defends his new foster brother, Freddy (played by Jack Dylan Grazer) from a couple of bullies. A wizard played by Djimon Honsou summons Billy to his realm and gives him powers that turn him into the adult superhero called Shazam (played by Zachary Levi). I can’t say how glad I am that DC is really starting to find their footing. Shazam! is another good movie in their universe. For starters, Zachary Levi is perfect as Shazam. The man really brings a youthful energy to the movie, and actually manages to convince you that he is a kid trapped in a man’s body. The action is pretty fun, even if I can’t really say it is the greatest action I have ever seen in a movie. However, it’s good enough to really serve the film well. Perhaps, the best thingI can say about Shazam! is that it feels like a great homage to some of the family films 80s and 90s. Much of the film’s tone is fairly light-hearted, but that doesn’t mean director David F. Sandberg isn’t afraid to throw some dark moments into the film if needed, helped by the man’s background with the horror genre. The film also has references to some of the films that arguably influenced it. These include Gremlins and Big, among other films. What I honestly appreciate about these moments is that they don’t feel like they are forced into the movie (which they easily could have). I should also note that the comedy in the film really works. Shazam! is a legitimately funny movie. The last thing I really feel the need to discuss in terms of the film’s positives is the emotional moments. The film isn’t afraid to show them, and they are genuinely effective. I think the film’s biggest flaw is its villain. Mark Strong does a really good job with what he’s given. I actually liked Sivana as a character. My problem with Sivana is that there just wasn’t enough of him to really make a strong impact. Overall, Shazam! was a solid superhero movie that I highly recommend. The flaws are there, but they are few and minor. If you get the chance, know that I recommend seeing Shazam! 

9 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. Lol When I first saw a teaser for this movie, I thought it was some kind of publicity joke.

    ReplyDelete