Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Silence

image source

The Silence follows a family as they try and survive an attack from prehistoric creatures that hunt by sound. If you couldn’t tell already, this film has some striking similarities to the movie A Quiet Place, right down to one of the family members being deaf. I have to admit that I didn’t exactly go into this with particularly high expectations. Sure, the cast is pretty good (perhaps the best element of the film as a whole). But, the film was directed by John R. Leonetti. The man’s directing credits include Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Annabelle, and Wolves at the Door. He truly has yet to make a film that legitimately impresses me. Sadly, this film is no exception. The acting from the main family is the only thing I can say truly works. A lot of the other actors don’t work well in this film at all. The creatures really don’t look good. Much of the film’s special effects make you fully aware that you are watching movie. More than that, you can always tell that they are bad CGI effects. A couple of the jump scares work—which is something impressive considering my opinions on jump scares. The characters in this film really don’t feel like they have much in the way of development. The most developed character is probably the character Ally played by Kiernan Shipka. She is a teenager who was involved in a car accident that killed her grandparents, and left her deaf. In many respects, the film is hard to talk about. I officially watched this film a couple of days ago on Netflix. I have a feeling that I will find this again in a few weeks and say to myself: “Oh yeah, I did watch that.” Is The Silence one of the worst films I have ever seen? No. I found to be just sort of mediocre, and I’ll probably forget about it completely before too long. 

4 / 10 

1 comment:

  1. So it's not even craptacular fun? Just mediocre? I will skip.

    ReplyDelete