Saturday, April 13, 2019

Prom Night (2008)

image source
I kind of feel like this is a review that has been a long time coming for me. While I don't necessarily consider the original Prom Night among my all-time favorite slashers, I still think it's a good flick that's worth a watch for slasher fans. This version of Prom Night is one of the absolute worst horror movies I have ever seen. This is a movie that actually has a good cast-including Brittany Snow, Jonathan Schaech, Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat), and Idris Elba. The problem with this is the script for this thing is so poor that these actors are wasted. I think the waste of Idris Elba is the wasted actor that makes me the most upset, as he is one of my all-time favorite actors. He is so much better than the material that he has been given, but even he doesn't seem fully invested, almost as though he really doesn't want to be here. But, I know what you're thinking. This is a remake of a cult classic slasher film. So, it has to have some creative kills. NO! This remake has a PG-13 rating. I've seen ways that this can be done right. For example, the Happy Death Day movies are PG-13, but I actually think the filmmakers were actually invested in those films. In the case of the Prom Night remake, I see it more as a cash grab. All the producers wanted was to make a profit, essentially robbing this film of a soul. The cult classics of the 1980s were all R-rated, and for very good reason. The characters in this film are awful. I know that slasher movies don't necessarily have the greatest characters. However, if I told you to name characters from some of the classics of the slasher genre, you easily could. I don't remember the name of a single character in this movie, not that I would really want to. I am somebody who tries to look for positives, and this is one of those movies where it is honestly, really difficult for me to do so. Is this the worst slasher movie I have ever seen? No, but it is a close second. I say this as somebody who has seen and reviewed I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer. But, you should still know that I do still think this may be one my most hated films of all time. The remake of Prom Night is nothing more than a soulless cash grab that has no right or purpose to even remotely exist.

0 / 10 

2 comments:

  1. Lol Dah-yum! Tell me how you really feel! I kind of want to watch this again just to remember the awfulness, even though I abhorred it the first time. Also makes me want to re-watch the old ones. And so is I'll Always Know your least favorite/the worst slasher?

    ReplyDelete