Friday, September 13, 2019

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

image source
I think it's safe to say that Jason Goes to Hell isn't exactly the most beloved film in the Friday the 13th franchise. I do have some level of respect for this film, which seems a little weird. It is a movie that tries something incredibly different for the franchise, even if that's a risk I can't necessarily say pays off in the end. This film portrays Jason as more of a demonic parasite who uses people's bodies as hosts for his spirit. Yep, this is that kind of movie. Is it even fair to criticize the acting? Slashers (with a few notable exceptions here and there) aren't known for having stellar acting. I feel like this is a point I have brought up numerous times, but I also don't know that it really matters. The biggest criticism I have towards this movie is that Jason really isn't in it, at least in his more well-known form. Because of this, Kane Hodder feels pretty underutilized. So, his presence feels missed. Some of the characters are kind of cool, but they feel like they belong in a completely different movie. I also like the ending that teases Freddy vs. Jason (which came ten years later). The kills are pretty cool, especially if you watch the unrated cut of the film. In the end, Jason Goes to Hell has some bright spots, but is still very much so one of the weaker entries in the franchise. Part of me honestly wonders if I would actually like this movie a lot more if it were a standalone film, and not linked to the Friday the 13th franchise.

5 / 10   

No comments:

Post a Comment