Monday, September 2, 2019

Kill Bill Vol. 1

image source
Kill Bill Vol. 1 comes from the mind of Quentin Tarantino. I finally got a chance to watch it again recently. Much of the influence for this film comes from old school kung fu films and anime. The film follows The Bride (played by Uma Thurman) after she is left for dead on her wedding day. She wakes up from a coma four years later with vengeance on her mind and begins hunting down her old team who betrayed her and left her to die, with Bill (played by David Carradine) as the main target for her revenge. As usual, Tarantino's writing and directing shines. The cast is excellent. Lucy Liu doesn't play a villain very often, but her work in this film makes me wish she would do it a little bit more. The film also plays out in a very non-linear fashion (typical for Quentin Tarantino). I like that Bill is used sparingly. His face is never shown, but his presence is always felt, almost as though he's a shadow looming over the film in its entirety. The action is incredible. You can feel Tarantino's love for the genre he's sending up. The action is fittingly brutal and bloody. Let's be real, I honestly think this is Uma Thurman's movie. She delivers when she needs to be vulnerable. She delivers when she needs to cold and calculated. She delivers when she needs to be angry. While Pulp Fiction might be her most iconic work, I actually think The Bride might be her at her absolute best. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is one of those movies I haven't seen very often, but I think I love even more the more I actually see it.

10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment