Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Jason Bourne

Image Source
 So, The Bourne Legacy didn’t really thrill that many people. But, with Jason Bourne, Matt Damon, Julia Stiles and Paul Greengrass are all back in their capacities, and the story picks where The Bourne Ultimatum left off. Now, I was really excited for this movie, pretty much from the word go. Overall, I did like the movie, but it’s definitely got some rough patches here and there. Julia Stiles felt a bit underused to me. While it isn’t necessarily a flaw, and without delving too much into spoilers there was a character I like that they killed off early on, and I wish that character would have stuck around a little longer. There’s a subplot in the movie involving a social media guru and the website he’s trying to build. Needless to say, I didn’t like it. The first time it came up, it was a little bit jarring, and it felt like I just switched over to a completely different movie altogether. The attempts to tie it into the main story felt really forced. The movie does utilize shaky cam during its action sequences. However, Paul Greengrass is one of the few directors who knows how to use the technique well. The performances all work. Matt Damon practically owns the role of Jason Bourne at this point. Tommy Lee Jones plays the Director of the CIA, and delivers a cold, calculated performance that works in the movie’s favor. The same goes for Vincent Cassell as the Asset, another person in the Treadstone program, who holds a grudge against Bourne. The villains in the movie have a personal connection with our hero, something common for a good villain. I’m curious to see if they have plans to take this franchise any further. They ended it in a way that I wouldn’t mind if this was the end of the series, but I also wouldn’t mind if they told another story in this world. Yes, the rough spots in the writing were noticeable, but the rest is good enough that they can easily be overlooked. 


7 / 10  

No comments:

Post a Comment