Sunday, August 21, 2016

Moonwalkers

 
Image Source
Moonwalkers is a movie that takes place in a world where the conspiracy theory of Stanley Kubrick faking the moon landing is actually what happened, or at least, in a way. Now, I will say this is a bit of a bizarre movie, and definitely isn’t for everybody. If any of what I described sounds interesting, it’s currently available on Netflix. Check it out and see what you think. I personally enjoyed this movie a good deal. Although, it takes place in the late 1960s, which honestly makes the head trip feeling work in the movie’s favor. I have to compliment lead actors Ron Perlman and Rupert Grint. Perlman is solid (and perfectly cast) as the gruff, no-nonsense CIA agent who has been tasked finding Kubrick, and trying to bring him in. Grint, in particular really shines as the movie’s standout in his role as a loser band manager who gets roped into the insanity, most of which is his own fault. I will say the mishap that gets him involved in the mess is cliched, something I have seen a thousand times before. I’ve also seen the story of a guy getting in over his head a thousand times. No, parts of the story don’t work as well as they should. Fortunately, the performers are able to rise above the familiarity of the story. I will say I did think the movie was funny, albeit never really gut-busting funny, for the most part. The climax to the film is easily one of the funniest I have ever seen. This has some of the most effective use of slow-mo I’ve seen since Dredd. For example, there’s a fight scene that uses said slow-mo for comedic effect, and it really works. Other times, it’s used for some of the movie’s more surreal moments. The final result is a fun, if somewhat flawed 60s-era head trip that worth watching at least once.


7 / 10       

No comments:

Post a Comment