Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Suicide Squad

Image Source
Suicide Squad is the third film in DC’s Extended Universe. Overall, these movies have been very divisive. While I didn’t hate Man of Steel or Batman v Superman, neither of them really wowed me. They both felt a bit dour. Suicide Squad, on the other hand was a blast. That’s not to say it was perfect. It definitely had its flaws. Let’s start there. The character development was pretty thin. Deadshot and Harley Quinn both had complete arcs. The other characters in the movie were mostly likable due to the actors and their talents coming through naturally while portraying them. Props should really go to Jay Hernandez as El Diablo, as I really felt his pain. The plot does feel a bit choppy. I never really felt a clear motivation for the main villain. I feel like there’s a lot that ended up on the cutting room floor, and it makes me wonder what the relationship was between director David Ayer and Warner Bros. Let’s just say I’m curious to see if this one’s gonna get a director’s cut too. I didn't hate the music by any means (I think it's one of the best soundtracks I've heard since Guardians of the Galaxy), but I do feel like the constant music changes were a bit jarring. Slipknot was a useless character whose fate EVERYONE got right. Katana is an interesting character already, and I wish she wasn’t so underused. Speaking of underused characters (and things that I suspect got cut), nowhere is this more evident than in the appearance of The Joker. This is a version of the character I feel is going to divide a lot of people. I didn't really mind it because it was something different, though I can understand why other people don't like it. So, the question is: What did I like in the movie? Well, David Ayer is a good director when it comes to action, and this movie is no exception, even if it does feel a bit muddled at times. The cast is fantastic. Will Smith does even better at Deadshot than I could have imagined. Jai Courtney actually gives a performance that I thought was genuinely good. Joel Kinaman, another actor who’s never really wowed me also does a solid job as the stoic Rick Flag. Viola Davis was perfectly cast as Amanda Waller. But, in my opinion, the best character in the movie was Harley Quinn. Margot Robbie has the mannerisms down and even nails some of Harley's punchlines. While Suicide Squad occasionally stumbles, it never really falls. 


8 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment