Thursday, February 8, 2018

Deep Blue Sea

image source
A team of researchers are trying to find a cure for Alzheimer's. They mess with a couple of test sharks, and make them smarter. Through some mishaps, the team becomes trapped, and must survive as the sharks begin picking them off one by one. It might surprise you when I say this, but this is one of my childhood movies. I grew up with it. I've probably seen it about 20 times. When you watch a movie like this as a kid, you only really know there are sharks that eat people. Watching it as an adult is another story altogether. I fully recognize that this is not a particularly good movie. The story is pretty dumb. It's almost like a mashup of Jaws and Jurassic Park, but doesn't have the intelligence that those two have. The effects also haven't aged well. The acting is pretty hit and miss. I like the performances of LL Cool J, Samuel L. Jackson, and Thomas Jane. On the other hand, Saffron Burrows as the female lead doesn't work very well for me. Her delivery feels incredibly stiff. This movie also has one of the greatest death scenes ever. If you haven't seen the movie, I won't spoil the moment. If you have seen the movie, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The writing is gloriously cheesy and dumb. There are lines in this movie I remember even from childhood and I never will forget them. If you are a fan of dumb, cheesy movies, give this a watch. It is absolutely one of my all-time guilty pleasures.

7 / 10 

1 comment: