Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Rampage

image source

Primatologist Davis Okoye (played by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) finds himself embroiled in a big business’s (headed by Malin Ackerman’s Claire Wyden) conspiracy when an experiment of theirs goes wrong, leading to the creation of three giant monsters. One of the monsters created is a gorilla named George – who just so happens to be Davis’s best friend. Davis finds himself teamed up with disgraced scientist Kate Caldwell (played by Naomie Harris) and government agent Russell (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan). To the answer the big question from video game purists, I’ve never played the game. So, I can’t really say for sure whether or not this movie is accurate to its video game counterpart. However, looking at this movie as a giant monster movie, I can say I enjoyed it. To be completely honest, it’s a stupid flick, but that never really bothered me. The performances by Johnson, Harris, Morgan, and (the criminally underused) Joe Mangienello all work well in the movie for me. I also liked Johnson’s chemistry with George the gorilla, especially because something like that is not easy to pull off. I also like that they don’t immediately throw in the exposition dump on how Davis and George met one another. The first moment of the two together is just kind of how they interact with one another. The CGI on the creatures actually looks good. The monsters are giant, mutated versions of their animal selves. You can kind of tell they are mutated and changed from what they started out as. The action sequences are pretty fun as well. When the titular “rampage” is happening, it’s a ton of fun. As much as I honestly had fun with this movie, I legitimately had some problems with the movie that need to be addressed. I touched on Joe Mangienello being wasted, and I really do think he is. If you’re a fan of the actor, just know that he’s not in this movie about as much as The Rock was in Furious 7, maybe less. Malin Ackerman does not work as the villainous Claire Wyden. Ackerman’s never been a particularly strong actress, so this attempt on her part to stretch out of her very limited range just does not work. Tonally, the film is a bit messy. Sometimes, there will be a little of a dark sense of humor. The few moments that show this don’t feel like they are weaved throughout, so much it feels like they come out of left field. Sometimes, the movie seems like it takes itself a little bit too seriously. Sometimes, the movie feels gleefully self-aware. When the tones clash like this, it doesn’t have a particularly strong effect on the overall product. To me, Rampage works as dumb popcorn fun. It’s got some pretty noticeable flaws, for sure. But, when it works, it works. I didn’t go into this movie expecting high art, and I was genuinely pleased with the end result that I got. If you get a chance, watch this movie with friends and just kind of riff on it.

7 / 10     

No comments:

Post a Comment