Sunday, June 2, 2019

Escape Room

image source

A group of strangers find themselves invited to participate in a series of increasingly immersive and increasingly dangerous escape rooms. This is a film I was actually pretty intrigued in from the beginning. The concept actually seemed really cool. The execution was…OK. I definitely didn’t hate this film, and I wasn’t really disappointed when I saw it. The actual escape rooms were genuinely unique, and I actually liked watching the characters have to try and find their ways out. The acting is solid, even if the characters themselves weren’t the greatest. I think there might have been one character I enjoyed more than the rest of them. I also have to appreciate that there was an attempt to develop our protagonists, some of them more than others, I will admit. Ultimately, these issues are a byproduct of the main issue I had with this film, the writing. As per usual with a film like this, there are attempts at levity. If anything, they mostly felt strange to me. It didn’t seem natural, so much as feeling like these characters are being forced to say certain things. The twist at the very end sets things up for a sequel, and as I write this review, I genuinely don’t know how I feel about it. There isn’t really much more for me to say. Escape Room feels best described as just good enough. It shows up and does its job. Am I curious about the sequel? Yes. Am I highly anticipating it? No. Escape Room feels like it is perfectly fine. It isn’t great. It isn’t bad. It’s somewhere in the middle. 

6 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment