Wednesday, June 5, 2019

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

image source

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part follows our heroes from the first film as they try to fight off an alien invasion, as well as the coming of "Armamageddon." Much like the first film as well as The Lego Batman Movie (I will admit that I haven’t seen The Lego Ninjago Movie), the humor is unbelievably on point. The first film seemed self aware of its status as a chosen one story, willingly following said story, and poking fun at it at the same time. The second film seems to have this self awareness towards post-apocalyptic stories, even if some of the jokes don’t really work as well this time around. I would say the best part of this movie is the film’s voice acting. Most of the cast from the first film returns, with the exceptions of Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson. Everyone in the movie is really good, and clearly invested in their roles. I do wish Will Ferrell played a little bit bigger part, though I understand why he didn’t. I also really have to compliment the film’s animation as well. At this point, I think the fact that the film’s animation is so good should go without saying. And yet, I still have to mention the animation for the purpose of look at this movie through a critical lens. At this point, I think it is worth talking about the movie’s faults because they are there. I mentioned that some of the jokes don’t work as well as they should. This leads into the main problem I have with this movie. It’s about ten minutes longer than the first film, and doesn’t feel like it’s paced quite as smoothly in some parts. A good place to start could be trimming out some of the jokes that don’t quite land as a way to trim the movie up a little bit. With all of that said, I still enjoyed The Lego Movie 2 (just not as much as I enjoyed the first film and The Lego Batman Movie). 

7 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment