Monday, November 25, 2019

Charlie's Angels

image source

A woman named Elena (played by Naomi Scott) is targeted for assassination due to her knowledge based on a tech project she has been working on. She soon finds herself working with a secret agency to discover who is trying to steal her invention. For all intents and purposes, it feels as though she is the film’s true protagonist. She is the audience surrogate who drives the plot and moves it forward. The best thing about this movie has to be the chemistry between the angels (Naomi Scott, Kristen Stewart, and Ella Balinska). While I would say that Scott’s character is the true protagonist, Kristen Stewart has be the one I feel shines the most. I also have to give props to Elizabeth Banks, Patrick Stewart, and Djimon Honsou. In many respects, I do think Stewart and Honsou are underused. The humor works well enough for me. It never really reaches the point of having amazing jokes, but there aren’t that many that fall completely flat for me either. Some of the writing feels forced. It purposely wants to set up something, and then does a complete 180 that doesn’t really work in the context of the story. And yet, it might seem strange of me to criticize the story in 2019’s Charlie’s Angels. This doesn’t feel like a film that should be story-based, but the story is there. It’s okay, but not what I necessarily needed to enjoy this movie. I enjoyed the leading ladies, some of the supporting players, and the action to an extent. This isn’t a great movie, but it’s perfectly decent. 

6 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment