Friday, November 15, 2019

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

image source
I do have to give a lot of respect to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves for being a landmark in cinema. This is the first full-length animated feature of all time. That said, I think this is a film I respect more than anything. It's not bad, by any means. It just feels so quaint compared to where Disney would go following this film. For example, I actually think this is one of the weaker Disney movies when it comes to music. That doesn't mean the music is bad. I just prefer movies like The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Jungle Book when it comes to the songs. Some of the songs do deserve classic status (Heigh-Ho, for example). I also feel that this film is a prime example of what you get when the supporting characters are generally more interesting than the title character, or at least, for the most part. The prince really doesn't feel like he counts as a character. I also don't feel like Snow White has much of a character to her, either. As far the supporting characters go, I actually like the dwarves. They all have distinct personalities, and are genuinely memorable. I also think the fact that evil queen isn't a super deep character actually works in the film's favor. She's entertaining because she's evil. Her motivation is literally petty jealousy. Even though he doesn't appear much, I actually like the huntsman. You actually understand his conflict. I could pick the story apart, but I don't really feel like that's fair for this film. The movie operates on fairy tale logic. It offers much more of an emotional feel than anything else. It amazes me the animation still looks incredible, even after 80 years. Yeah, this movie originally came out in 1937. Like I said, I do think this is a good movie. I just don't rank it among my all-time favorites.

6 / 10  

No comments:

Post a Comment