Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Fanatic

image source

The Fanatic is an experience of a movie. I mean this in both the best and worst ways possible. This movie feels like it has the loosest semblance of a plot. The film is written and directed by Fred Durst (yes, lead singer of Limp Bizkit, Fred Durst). Durst’s screenplay is surface-level at best. Perhaps the most fascinating thing is knowing that this is not Fred Durst’s first directorial effort. Yet, watching this movie, you would never know that. I really think this is a movie that will ultimately be placed on the same level as films such as Birdemic, Troll 2, and The Room. The lead performance by John Travolta may just be the ultimate proof of this. I mean the man breaks one of the biggest rules of acting. He “went full retard.” The film never really gives a distinct protagonist and antagonist. Travolta’s character, Moose (yes, that’s his name) is clearly on the Autism Spectrum. Adding on to that, if this film were anything more than just trashy entertainment, I would probably find this more offensive. If you do, I can’t hold it against you.  You also know that his actions are obviously too far over the line. At the same time, Hunter Dunbar (played by Devon Sawa) is just kind of an asshole from the beginning. The dialogue is laughably bad. John Travolta’s first line in the movie is “I can’t talk long. I gotta poo.” I wish I was making that up. Another wonderful line in this film is: “Moose didn’t just cross the line. He fucking nuked it.” The climax (if I can actually call it that) is difficult to put into words. It’s not even that I’m worried about spoiling it. Keep in mind, this only me scratching the surface of this film. It’s more-so that it’s almost indescribable. The Fanatic is a movie in the loosest sense of the word, and is so laughably bad, it’s honestly worth seeking out. 

0 / 10 



No comments:

Post a Comment