Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Terminator: Dark Fate

image source

A young woman named Dani (played by Natalia Reyes) is hunted by a new breed of terminator known as the Rev-9 (played by Gabriel Luna). In order to survive, Dani must join forces with an enhanced human named Grace (played by Mackenzie Davis), Sarah Connor (played by Linda Hamilton), and an aged T-800 (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger). I should start by saying that this movie has a plot point within the first few minutes that will divide people. I’m not going to go into spoilers, but you’re either going to hate it or you’re going to roll with it. Personally, I actually was able to roll with it. To me, this is a moment that felt earned as the movie went on. I appreciate that this movie took Terminator back to its rated R roots. For the most part, the acting is solid. For the most part, the effects are pretty solid too. Some of the CGI can look a little rough. There is one thing that really stands out to me in particular. I love the Rev-9 as a villain. He is the first terminator since the T-1000 that I found to be a truly menacing antagonist. The action is pretty fun, overall. I love how Sarah Connor and the T-800 play into this film and its story (especially Arnold Schwarzenegger as the T-800). Some of the writing can feel a little forced and unnecessary, but never to the point where I find it too distracting. Is Terminator: Dark Fate as good as the first two movies? No. It is better than 3, 4, and 5 in my opinion, and that’s really all I wanted out of this movie. Do you need to rush out and see this movie? No, but I still recommend it.  

8 / 10 

2 comments:

  1. Shawn & I both want to see this movie. We need to have ourselves a Terminator marathon first. Do we have to view all the movies in the series in order to enjoy this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really only need to watch the first two. When you do watch this, I want to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete