Monday, April 25, 2016

Game of Thrones S6E1: The Red Woman

Image Source
The Red Woman is the sixth season premiere of Game of Thrones. I am a huge fan of this show. From what I can tell, the goals of this episode seem to be to both set up the rest of the new season (as all season premieres are supposed to do) and to answer a lot of the questions from the season five finale that fans were left with. At this point, I would like to issue a spoiler alert for anyone who is not yet caught up, as I will be addressing some major plot points. First off, let's talk about the big one. At this point, yes, it does look as though Jon Snow dead (even though I'm personally holding out hope that he'll be back). We see that there were, in fact, people who were loyal to him. They don't seem to care much for the situation they are stuck in. On that note, Tyrion also seems to be in a situation he doesn't much care to be in. With Danaerys gone, the kingdom she had built seems to be crumbling. Tyrion also has a bit of a mystery to solve. Who are The Sons of the Harpy, and who do they answer to? Danaerys, meanwhile now finds herself as a slave to the Dothraki. Arya seems to be trying to work through her current situation, and we see that, finally, Brienne of Tarth is now under the service of Sansa Stark. There's also a quiet moment between Cersei and Jamie after the death Myrcelle from the previous season that actually manages to make me feel sorry for a character as loathsome as Cersei Lannister. Many of these stories also bring about questions of their own. I've talked a bit about some of the questions related to Tyrion. Will Jon Snow return? If so, when? Will war break out between Westeros and Dorn? But, most importantly, who will wnd up on the chopping block this season? There are also a few conflicts set up that could have a rippling effect throughout the rest of the season, and possibly the rest of the series, the aforementioned war between Westeros and Dorn and splintering of the Night's Watch. I didn't really talk much about the storylines involving Margery Tyrell and Jorah Mormont. This is because these are the only stories within the episode I didn't care for as much. They didn't really seem to tell me much more than I already knew, and dragged on a little bit for me. Overall, this was great introductory episode and I can't wait to see where the season goes next.

9 / 10     

No comments:

Post a Comment