Thursday, April 7, 2016

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday

Image Source
 Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday is the third film in the Pee-Wee Herman movie series. Much like the other movies in the series, your enjoyment of the movie will come from the level of enjoyment you get out of the character of Pee-Wee Herman.  I’m one of those people who can only really take the character in small doses. This movie is no exception. This is a movie that has taken me a while to get through it (many, many days) because I can only take the character for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Aside from that, this movie feels like it’s trying to mesh a bunch of different story lines, and most of them don’t seem to have good payoff, at least for me. Something I found interesting was that True Blood’s Joe Manganiello plays himself in the movie. I don’t really have a problem with this because it can easily help him break away from type-casting. As much as I don’t really care for the Pee-wee Herman character or this movie, I do have to compliment Joe Manganiello on his performance as an exaggerated version of himself. He brings this sort of swagger and charisma that makes him the most enjoyable thing to watch in his limited screen time. I will say that there were a few jokes here and there that honestly did make me laugh, but just not enough for me to say I like the movie. At a point, it seems to become Pee-wee Herman meets Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I’m not sure whether I think this is a positive or a negative. As I’ve said, your enjoyment of the movie will come with your enjoyment of the Pee-wee character, and I’m honestly not the biggest fan of the character. 


4 / 10    

No comments:

Post a Comment