Saturday, December 10, 2016

Max Steel

Image Source
Max Steel centers on a teenager (Ben Winchell) who discovers a robot invented by his deceased father that ultimately doubles as something of a robotic super suit. Structurally speaking, Max Steel is a complete mess of a disaster. Fair warning, I am going to spoil this movie, because nobody should fucking watch it. But, I really need to break down WHY Max Steel doesn’t work as a movie. 
1.) The editing is completely jarring and sloppy. Fun fact, Taylor Lautner was originally attached to play Max Steel in this movie. So, when I say that Ben Winchell is so wooden and lifeless, that I wished Taylor Lautner was the star, that should say something. 
2.) As soon as the movie starts, you know exactly which steps Max Steel is going to take. 3.) Maria Bello and Andy Garcia are good actors (this piece of shit is beneath them). 
4.) Once Andy Garcia shows up, you know he’s going to be the villain. Garcia doesn’t even really hide it in his performance. 
5.) The visual effects are atrocious. They look like someone just sort of ok’d the starting demo effects for the fucking final cut. 
6.) This is supposed to be an origin story, and the filmmakers don’t really build up to the protagonist getting his powers. He just sort of gets them and goes “okay.” This brings me to my next big problem with this movie. 
7.) The characters SUCK! Max is supposed to be a superhero, but he’s an idiot and a coward who runs and hides, letting other people try and kill the big bad. This is our HERO, people! Our main character. The love interest does nothing but stalk the main character, and she’s completely USELESS! 
8.) The love story. The awful writing does nothing for these characters. The actors are so lifeless in their performances, that it’s obvious they have no chemistry with one another. 
9.) I’ve kind of been hinting at this for a while. The directing and writing are some of the worst I’ve seen this year. Honestly, I’m not even convinced these people wouldn’t even cut it in an Asylum movie. 
The best way I can describe Max Steel is that it feels like one of those shitty direct-to-video mock busters, like Transmorphers and Metal Man, but this movie got a wide theatrical release, and we should all be scared because of it. Overall, Max Steel is more than just one of the worst movies I have seen this year, it’s one of the worst movies I have seen in my entire life.  


0 / 10    

No comments:

Post a Comment