Thursday, December 29, 2016

Top 10 Best Movies of 2016

2016 was something of an interesting year all around. Before I get into my list, I want to say that I did not get a chance to see everything I wanted to see. I just didn't get the time to see Manchester By the Sea, Moonlight, Silence, or La La Land. 

Honorable Mentions:

I had a couple movies I actually liked quite a bit that just couldn't quite make the cut.

Hell or High Water, Suicide Squad, Rogue One, Lights Out, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Hail, Caesar, Moana

#10: Sing Street: Sing Street told a classic story in a unique way, and was backed up by a pretty damn good soundtrack to boot. It's a lesser-known movie, so if you are able to, check this one out.

#9: Hacksaw Ridge: Mel Gibson returns to directing for a harrowing, yet uplifting war story about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who lists in World War II to save lives as a medic. He saved 75 men, without ever firing a weapon.

#8: 10 Cloverfield Lane: Much of 10 Cloverfield Lane is a small, tense thriller. The whole time, you follow three people. John Goodman in this movie is as frightening and uneasy as it can possibly get.

#7: Star Trek Beyond: A lot of People were utterly worried when the trailer for this movie dropped. The final result was actually a really damn good movie with a fantastic cast that worked off each other unbelievably well.

#6: The Nice Guys: The Nice Guys is a wonderful, neo-noir crime comedy written and directed by Shane Black. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe work off each other excellently, and are both perfectly cast. But, the absolute scene stealer is newcomer Angourie Rice as Gosling's daughter.

#5: Zootopia: Zootopia has this amazing world set up with excellent characters, a story that tries far harder than it probably would've in lesser hands, and fantastic animation that breathes life into my favorite animated movie of the year.

#4: Don't Breathe: There were points where I felt legitimately claustrophobic watching Don't Breathe. There were points in this movie where I wanted to cringe. I say all of this with the utmost praise and enthusiasm. This was easily my favorite horror movie of the year, with amazing tension and great performances by Jane Levy and Stephen Lang.

#3: Captain America: Civil War: Civil War raised the stakes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by literally tearing these heroes we've seen for years as friends apart. There's a legitimate grey area explored in this movie where you understand both sides clearly, and may find yourself switching sides constantly.

#2: Deadpool: I think Deadpool may just be the shot of adrenaline superhero movies need right now. This is a hard-R superhero movie that made over $700 million at the worldwide box office. It was a great movie because it stuck to the character it was trying to portray.

#1: Arrival: Arrival was a movie that really made me think. I watched this movie once. I loved it. It's actually grown on me quite a bit the more I've thought and thought about it. The actors are excellent. The story is intriguing. It's slow-paced, but it's never boring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment