Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Magnificent Seven

Image Source
A young woman (Haley Bennett) seeks help from bounty hunter Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington) to get rid of a man terrorizing her hometown. From there, Chisolm recruits six other men to aid him. Antoine Fuqua directs the movie, and once again, he shows an understanding of how to direct action. The other thing I noticed Fuqua knows how to do within this movie is build suspense. The tension that leads up to many of the action scenes can only be described as a powder keg. Of course it helps knowing that Washington, Pratt, and Byug Hun-Lee are all proven action stars. The cast is excellent. Washington, Chris Pratt, Haley Bennett, Ethan Hawke, Byung Hun-Lee, Peter Sarsgaard, and Vincent D’Onofrio all work in their respective roles, and work off each other brilliantly. In particular, I enjoyed watching the actors playing the magnificent seven. These men have great chemistry, and the quiet moments involving these men actually help build their characters. In my opinion, Chris Pratt serves as the movie’s standout performer, however. Some of his typical Chris Pratt-isms are there, but they are very few. His character is a drunken gambler who is mostly likable due to Pratt’s charisma. Something I found interesting is that this movie carries a PG-13 rating. I say this because there are multiple points where I feel that the movie pushes the boundaries of its rating. I also want to compliment the movie’s production design. I can actually feel a lot of the old west setting of the movie based on the sets. The bar scenes have something of a grimy, dirty feel to them, which I honestly appreciate. Admittedly, the movie doesn’t really cover any new ground. This is a story I’ve seen multiple times before. However, the ride I was on for this movie was just a ton of fun.


9 / 10   

No comments:

Post a Comment